Capitalization is either used too much, or not at all. The actual rules:
- Begin a sentence with a capital letter
- Proper nouns should be capitalized
- A proper noun is a noun that refers to a specific subject. Like "Vancouver, Canada" or "the Governor of Ohio"
- CAPS LOCK STOPPED BEING CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL A WHILE AGO, AND IT HAS NO PLACE IN LITERATURE SUBMISSIONS
- conversely, you should still capitalize where needed. i really hate it when people don't capitalize words like "ohio"
Of course, this rule can be ignored if you know what effect ignoring it will have (see E. E. Cummings)