- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 150g (5oz) golden caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon black treacle
- 2 eggs
- 150ml (5fl oz) vegetable oil
- 150ml (5fl oz) milk
- apricot, rasperry or strawberry jam, cream or butter icing to finish.
Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/Gas3 and grease 2x18cm (7in) cake tins.
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a food processor and blend.
Add liquid ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into the tins and bake for 45mins (or until done).
Personally I always double the mixture and put them in circular tins, it doesn't matter if you do this. Just allow a longer cooking time if using double the mixture.