The Truth That Has Set Me Free
No longer am I bound by the lies that once kept my very soul kept in their fists. Today, as I sit here, I feel peace wash over me because...There is hope.
So, to confront each of the lies in turn...I'll show you what I now believe.
- God doesn't love me as much as He loves other people.
FALSE. God Himself says in Romans 2:11 that He does not show favoritism.
- I am the only one in the world who must earn salvation.
FALSE. Galatians 3 expressly states that believers cannot earn their own salvation...and this Truth applies to all.
- If I miss reading the Bible or praying for one day, God will give up on me/ condemn me.
FALSE. Hebrews 13:5b states that never will He leave me; never will He forsake me!
- So if I do miss reading the Bible or praying, then I don't deserve to talk to God.
FALSE. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says that we must "pray without ceasing." Never once does the Word say that we cannot pray!
- There is no use trying to talk to God because He doesn't like me much, anyways.
FALSE. 1 Peter 5:7 tells me to cast all my cares on God, because HE CARES FOR ME.
- If I feel spiritual peace, it's just a coincidence, and it'll go away because I could never have real spiritual peace.
FALSE. John 14:27 tells of Jesus' words that He will give His followers peace.
- I am the only one who feels this way
FALSE. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says that there is no temptation or sin (including my disbeliefs) that other people haven't known, too.
- I'm just an inconvenience to God.
FALSE. Zephaniah 3:17 tells me, in no uncertain terms, that God takes great delight in me - even rejoices over me with singing!
- I must do arbitrary things a certain number of times so I can have control, because if I have control, then I'm strong enough to earn God's grace (one of the most influential thoughts of this list).
FALSE. 2 Corinthians 12:9 says that God's strength overcomes our weaknesses - that His strength IS SUFFICIENT.
- I ought to punish myself/ do penance if I do something wrong.
FALSE. Psalm 103:12 says that my transgressions have already been removed from me!
- But if I do punish myself, I'm sinning, so God won't like that, either (so ultimately, there's no remedy for sin).
FALSE. There IS a remedy for sin. 1 John 1:9 says so.
- If I don't feel saved, then I'm not.
FALSE. 1 John 3:20 reassures me that EVEN THOUGH MY HEART CONDEMNS ME, God is greater than my heart and knows that I am saved!
- I must bear this burden alone.
FALSE. Matthew 11:28 tells me that Jesus will give me to rest, if I give my burden to Him.
- God is tired of my failures.
FALSE. Romans 5:20b says that no matter how much sin abounds, there is ALWAYS more than enough Grace for my failures.
- I'd be more valuable to God if I had a dramatic testimony.
FALSE. This goes hand-in-hand with the first lie, which goes hand-in-hand with the first Truth - God does not show favoritism (Romans 2:11). My "undramatic" testimony doesn't change that.
- God can forgive anyone but me.
FALSE. Romans 8:1 says that there is NO condemnation for Christ's followers!
- God doesn't care about my prayers.
FALSE. Again, 1 Peter 5:7 tells me that He does want me to cast my cares upon Him!
- Even though there's no major sin in my life, I'm still far too bad for redemption (this is definitely the biggest one on the list).
FALSE. Ephesians 1:7 proclaims that all my sins have been erased!
- I don't deserve counseling because nothing will change, anyways.
FALSE. Things can and will and have changed. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells me that those who Jesus saves will become new creations!
- It's hopeless, God will never love me, and I will never be good enough, so I might as well give up.
FALSE. There is hope (Jeremiah 29:11), God does love me (John 3:16), and I don't have to be good enough (Romans 3:23-24). Therefore, I have no reason to give up!
- Sometimes I feel like it would be better to give up and know for sure that I'm going to hell than to constantly stress over it all the time (I only think this when I'm most anxious).
FALSE. John 3:36a tells me that because I am God's, I have a right to Heaven!
- And lastly, I have no right to tell you this because it's my responsibility to bear it all alone.FALSE. Galatians 6 talks about bearing one another's burdens.
And the Truth has set me free.