It seems the "cool" thing these days is to call yourself a "writer." I see it all the time.
"So, what do you do?" someone asks.
"Oh, I write. Yup. I write. That's what I do."
Then they act all impressed and assume you're writing an epic fantasy in a magical world, or you're forming new philosophical ideas, or recreating a murder.
Well, if you do any number of these, you can "unofficially" mind you call yourself "a writer."
Be sure to check the asterisks at the bottom. :)
- You know you're a writer when you stay up all night writing long hand using only your cell phone light because the computer generates too much light.
- You know you're a writer when you carry a pocket-sized notebook because you can't memorize all the ideas that pop in your head.
- You know you're a writer when you sit out in the park and "people watch" to gain insight in your own characters.
- You know you're a writer when you copy snippets of conversation because you know your character would laugh at it later.
- You know you're a writer when you address your character in any conversation you're having with a "real" person. *
- You know you're a writer when you say, "Oh, let me go get (insert your favorite character's name) because this is their field of expertise!" and you run off to realize people are raising eyebrows. **
- You know you're a writer when "real" people don't seem as exciting as the people we create. *
- You know you're a writer when you can't stop writing or typing and you tell your (roommate, spouse, family member) that you just got to "the really good part." ***
- You know you're a writer when you create an entire world over a cup of coffee and then have to write it on a napkin because your handy dandy notebook was left on the counter. ****
- You know you're a writer when you doodle random poems on your piece of paper that was supposed to be class notes, work papers, etc.
* And I use the word "real" loosely because we all know our characters are real. ;)
** Yeah, never happened. :p
*** Which we all know is the ENTIRE thing!
**** Usually applies to fantasy writers, but hey, you could probably relate. ;)