Big Bill Scarborough Gets the Headlines

I took Tony's advice, but only after late supper over with Shirley, Shirley's mom, and Mary.  The old lady cooked up some out of this world lasagna and Mary and I sat for a hour or two on the porch in rocking chairs. 

Boo was looking for his new found lady friend when I returned but I soothed his disappointment with some tuna fish.  I finished off a bottle of Comfort, called in sick he next morning and never did get around to taking a shower, let alone get dressed.

Tony called me that night about 7:00.  The next morning he and Scarborough were meeting to negotiate the deal with O'Hara.  Senator Watters and Wild Bill had come to an understanding.  It took a few days to make the arrest on little more than an embezzlement charge. Bill pleaded out for a seven year sentence.  he served five and got out for good behavior.  He died of lung cancer and his estranged daughter cried at his funeral and sat next to her birth mother.

The following week, we got word of the apparent suicide of Mr. James E. Blake, aka Jacob Blair.  In his pocket, a type-written confession about the killing of Mick Flanagan and Molly O'Hara. He jumped off a bridge and drowned one late night.  And wouldn't you know it, no witnesses.  The body washed up under the docks.

The murder of Miss Yellow Roses eventually went into the cold case file, not officially closed  but my notes stated the thought that there were good indications that the deceased Mr. Blake's confession probably had some credibility.  Motive?  Suspicions were that Buster Blake had an old score to settle with Wild Bill O'Hara, possibly an old debt that he owed a mob family in Jersey.

Delores worked for Mr. Keller until the old man keeled over with a heart attack.  She moved to Washington and landed a quality job as the Office Manager for a senior senator from Pennsylvania.

Miss Lily moved to Providence, Rhode Island.   Not long afterwards, maybe six months, Anne Brown moved to Providence as well.  I never heard from them again, nor did anyone else I knew in Boston.

Teddy Brown remained a town drunk for many years, sustained by his family trust administered by the Brown & Keller law firm.  Every now and then, I'd treat Teddy to lunch and every time I left thinking the same thought, what a waste. 

It took nearly a year, but the Boston Globe finally broke the story about long time corruption in the Boston Police Department.  I was called to testify at the trial.  Both Galloway and Flanagan went to prison, sentenced to five years each.  Both, in time, relocated to L.A. and rumors had it that they went together into a private investigation business specializing in divorce work.

Scarborough made Captain, probably due to all the headlines he received in breaking the O'Hara case and in blowing the whistle on on Galloway.  Bill did a helluva a job, many believe he was  the best Captain of Homicide the Department ever had.

O'Toole retired to Miami, Florida and worked for years as a school crossing guard.

The murderer of poor Miss Ming was never found.  I always figured it was Flanagan, maybe with Galloway's involvement.  But no one found any evidence that tied them to it and most folks wrote it off as it being Blake's doing with the help of some of his mob cronies from Jersey.

Mary continued to work with Big Shirley and I kept ordering Dutch apple pie.  Once in awhile, Mary and I would go to the Franklin Zoo and watch the big cats pace back and forth and the monkeys swing from the ropes.  Sometimes we would buy our tickets from Mrs. Brown who would remind us that her husband was a lawyer in a big downtown law firm.



The End

22 comments about this story Feed