Chapter 2-3

My name is Joseph Globen, veteran war journalist, and most of you know me here as one of the few authors on Inconvenient Truths, a website detailing reports and documentation on many worldly affairs that have not been reported by international media due to political influence.

I have sought to unveil the immeasurable amount of suffering and sorrow that has been brought about through the endless violence and meaningless fighting brought about by the various factions in the world, with each proclaiming the cause as just and without compromise.

Having travelled from war torn countries such as Israel to others with internal strife so pervasive that acts of terrorism occurs on a regular basis undeterred by law enforcement. I have seen the victims, some who have since been either permanently traumatised, scarred or even both.

A thousand years ago, men fought with bare hands, swords, shields and spears. A hundred years back, we brought about already countless changes in the aspect of variation in warfare, armed to the teeth with rifles, grenades, cannons and armoured vehicles, rendering the ancient medieval weaponry to an almost redundant state.

From times when we chose to wear heavy plate body armour and chain mails to the modern day light tactical gear, even our choice of attire has since greatly changed from one where the commanders of an army would ride in front of their men to one where our generals give their commands from the back, since death is but a moment away on the war front where bullets and mortars fly, reducing the act of courage and valour to one of a pointless martyr.

Despite this, we continued the arms race even after our world wars and revelation of the aftermaths from each of them. Forgetting the price which the generation before paid for dearly, development carries on in the name of deterrence under the cover of each government; some being more open in their demonstrations with the purpose of merely displaying might to that of dubious intentions.

With the nuclear threat being one of greatest concern at one point, the international committee declared a ban on nuclear armaments, hoping to prevent an apocalypse caused by such a war. However, it brought us instead to other equally deadly forms of armaments, such as biological agents and autonomous killing machines.

From time to time, despite testing of a strictly controlled scale, there is a demand by the clients of these researchers for results of experimentation on more practical and realistic scales. That said, a common testing ground was one where conflict and skirmishes were a regular affair.

In all my years of travel, I had initially found these to be baseless conspiracy theories, never having encountered one such situation myself till most recently, after my return from a supposed visit to Afghanistan where what I thought was imagination going wild became reality. This report of mine serves to give in greater detail the reason for my recent six months long absence from journalism.

As stated in all my social networking profiles prior to my six months long disappearance  I had planned to observe the situation over there after the war years back. It was during my visit to one of the suburbs when an organised group of kidnappers attacked the town I was in.

Killing a few people to show they meant business, the kidnappers huddled the rest of us into several five tonners, which are large heavy military vehicles commonly used for troop transport. After being driven for miles in an almost completely sealed container with only holes with air filters attached on for us to breathe, we were then released in a large warehouse.

Our kidnappers, armed with rifles of unknown origin that they had demonstrated to be able to blow a hole large enough to split a man’s body in half at their torso, didn’t seem to worry about what we had on us. To be exact, as long as we didn’t try to escape from the warehouse we had been released into, they had no intention of confiscating any of our possessions. Although I had expected it, I was disappointed nonetheless when I couldn’t get a connection to any networks there.

At that point, I figured out that our captors were probably the real deal as the average terrorists rarely had a need to capture civilians  much less in such a covert manner while being able to be so lax in their execution, probably because they were armed with cutting edge technology.

We were kept there for about five days, but as the place had a few wash rooms and rye bread with butter was distributed twice daily, there wasn’t much complains except for a few old folks with medical conditions, to which our captors threatened that they either lived with it or get treated by a rifle. Since they had a few electrical points along the walls, I took the opportunity to charge up the electronics on me as well as note down what I had seen up till then on my laptop.

It was some time in the evening of the sixth day after our usual meal when they ordered us to form groups of six to ten people. On their part, I guess this was to keep resistance to a minimum rather than having to deal with protests of those who knew each other. There was still a few who couldn’t get into a group at first but quickly found a place when rifle barrels were raised.

Group by group, a few of our captors went around blindfolding, gagging and tying up our hands, forming small human chains. Strategically repositioning myself to one of the groups in the back, I had the chance to watch the first group being led out of the warehouse door, which was a change from the usual entrance they used on the second floor to bring in our meals.

From what I could vaguely see, I recognised the distant night sky and evening clouds rambling in the distance, as well as part of an open sea. To affirm that we were near the sea, I could feel a bit of a breeze and smell a strong mineral scent in the air. My small glimpse of freedom was short lived as one of those in my group decided to test his luck, and snuck his way to the group closest to the door before making a dash for it.

With one loud dull bang, the man who had just reached the entrance stood there with his head blown off, falling into a slum shortly after with the screams of those who had yet to be gagged. Our captors, in an empathic sense, were considerate enough to inform us of what happened as well as warn us once more of the consequence of any escape attempt.

My turn came soon after and a few moments later, we were being led out of the warehouse. I could feel the strong winds of an impending storm as we walked up a ramp and boarded a ship, or so I thought. Guided to what I think was the ship’s deck, I could hear our captors arguing about something intensely. Before I could catch on to much however, I heard one of them say in Spanish, “Let’s just have them cold with a jab. The dead are easier to transport.”

As it seemed that I was the only one who could understand what he said, I began struggling. This caused the rest who bounded with me to start struggling as well. A rifle shot pierced the ambient sounds of the sea, restoring order as we shivered in fear. The jabs came shortly after, and I tiredly closed my eyes underneath my blindfold, expecting to never see the living daylight again.

Against my expectation of a peaceful death, I awoke in a chilly barn. Looking around, I saw others strewn around me. I hurriedly shook one of them, wanting to see if I was the only lucky one to have survived the jab. He got up slowly, and in a dazed look, asked where were we. Taking the chance to examine the place again, I realised that there wasn’t a guard around.

In my excitement, I got up quickly despite being weak from what I found out later to have been days of inactivity. Much to my dismay, I walked through the barn doors only to find what seemed to be a small community of captives, with our armed captors positioned at just about every corner of what seemed to be a concentration camp.

My subsequent five months were spent there in captivity. As it turned out, my group was one of the few that were brought here in order to grow crops and rear animals as a main part of our role, that basically meant food production. For what reason exactly, I am still not sure, as half of the food produced were consumed by us and the other half being sent out by another group of our captors who would come by each month to collect it.

My days there weren’t too bad other than for being held inside the camp against my will as our captors maintained their stance of indifference to whatever we did so long as we completed our daily tasks without attempting to escape. During my time there, there was only one escape attempt by an American soldier who got caught up in one of their earlier kidnappings.

Though he was assisted by a few others, the only one who got out in the end was him, as he promised to bring back an army to save the rest later on. Unfortunately for him, he did not make it far as a few loud shots broke the silence of that night, and his tattered remains were brought back and put on display in grotesque fashion for a day as a reminder to the rest of us.

I later found out that those who assisted in the escape were given only a warning, apparently because our captors were so confident that any attempt would end in a gruesome death. In fact, a few of them encouraged us to try again, saying they wanted the chance to fire their babies for a bit.

Other details on life within the camp are not too important at this point, so I will save them for later report. Besides our individual daily work, I would make it a point to take some time each night to use my mobile charger to charge my laptop and key the details for each day.

One abnormality that stood out from all this however was the fact that besides the food collection in the middle of each month, they would round up a few of us at the end of each month, sending them out to some place that I didn’t know of then. In replacement, a new group of captive would arrive unconscious and we would carry them to the same barn we first woke up in before untying them and leaving them to wake up at their own timing.

Late into the fifth month, when I had begun to lose all hope of leaving that place and resigned myself to a fate of living my days out till I got sent out or died. As I recall, it was a typical morning with me feeding the chickens and collecting eggs that was laid when a loud boom echoed in the air.

I have yet to mention it, but from within the camp asides from the surrounding forest, one could see some mountains in the distance as well as a church on one and a large castle on another. The church looked relatively well maintained while the castle appeared fairly dilapidated but both would have a glowing light from several windows each evening. This had of course, led me to think that we were being held captive to be loyal subjects for the people living there at one point of time.

Back to the main point, this explosion that sounded like it came from the castle got our captors riled up and half of the guards were immediately reassigned to investigate the cause. With the lowered security, we were gathered and warned yet again the consequence of trying to escape.

Since we were ordered back to our respective housing to rest for the day, which were actually old worn down houses with a few small living spaces inside, I quickly readied my own escape plan that I had devised shortly after I got used to the place. Moving the small rug on the wooden floor of my four by three room, I lifted up a hidden trapdoor that had enough space to hide a person.

Rather then hiding there, my plan was only keep my effects there, since our captors is known for not caring about one’s personal belongings regardless of communicative capabilities. As for my own hiding spot, I had originally not planned one as my intention was to escape light and come back after the place had been cleared out to retrieve these sources of valuable information.

But as I have worked here for quite a while now, I discovered a hidden panel inside the partially underground chicken coop. There was a small gap between the earth and the wooden wall there as well as a very small peep-hole to the surface. I could wait it out there in safety should they decide to clear the camp out or get attacked by other unknown forces in the area.

It was not till later that evening, when my house mates and I were about to tuck in on a dinner of omelette and salad that we heard the guards shouting out for us to gather. Not knowing how this would turn out, I told the rest to grab a knife or fork in case things got nasty and we needed to use whatever we had on hand.

As we gathered in the centre of the camp, I positioned myself as far as possible from the guard with the loudspeaker and closer to the chicken coop, that was actually only a few steps back. It was as I had unfortunately anticipated, they announced that they had come under attack and were in the middle of dealing with an intruder.

I was as curious as they were in the aspect of who would have the guts to do such a thing. However, it was when they claimed that everything was fine and that they were going to give some sort of vaccine jabs to everyone, themselves included, that I knew it was time to hide.

Backing away as discreetly as I could while the first guard injected himself, I ran down the steps of the coop all the way to the back and opened the hidden panel. As I stepped in, I realised I was not alone. In the dimly lit coop, another woman who worked there as well was already hiding inside. While there was more than enough space for two, I wasn’t quite expecting anyone else to have been thinking the same thing as me.

Quickly covering her mouth, I warned her against shouting and asked her to tell me her plans quietly upon the removal of my hand. Fortunately for me, she did not panic and even instructed me to close the panel behind me first. After sharing with me as much as she was willing to, I found out that her name was Alicia and she was a fellow journalist who got captured a month ago.

While we knew we couldn’t hide there forever, our captors did not really bother to keep track of our locations as long as we were within the compound. So the plan was to stay hidden and avoid whatever injection they were giving out up there before getting back to work in the morning. After quietly sharing our individual experience so far, tiredness overcame us and we soon fell asleep.

The End

2 comments about this story Feed