Challenge 4: The Obstacle Course

I pulled up in the middle of the Broomfield football pitch after driving through the fence enclosing it, and then I began the procedure for getting out of a truck with a roll-cage, a surprisingly hard-to-achieve task that resulted to me falling onto my face on the wet and muddy grass. At this point, Fraser and Duncan's Wildcats hoved into view. They seemed to have no problems getting out of the trucks, which was rather annoying, and then Fraser announced he had the envelope. It said;

"Now you have arrived, you will go to the rugby pitch for a obstacle course. But first, you must decorate your cars with the paint supplied for you."

An hour later, we were ready. I had gone for a nice set of red racing stripes, simple and effective. Fraser had gone for a set of go-faster stripes on the side and some confusingly awesome-looking tribal paintings on the bonnet and rear flanks. But the freshly crowned king of excess was Duncan, who had apparantly attempted to paint the works of the great masters on the whole body, and for the final touch, his TheMW2EliteGamers logo on the driver's side window. Now it was time to go to the rugby pitch for the obstacle course, but first, there was a rather steep drop. Me and Fraser decided to take a long route around it, but Duncan, in the Haywain (as I had called it), drove straight off the edge and promptly onto his nose. When his car had reverted to being on it's wheels again, the damage, unbelievably, was minimal. We continued on to the pitch and saw our task. A starting post lead to a massive hill and several different sized pools of water, followed by a banked 90 degree turn and a finish post. Fastest one round it wins 10 points, second won 5 points, and last won 0 points. Easy. Or so it seemed.

I went first. A good start (which covered the Haywain with a thin layer of mud, much to Duncan's chargin), and then to the steep hill. A one in three slope always feels steeper in the car, and all I could see for a few seconds was sky. Then the slope dropped and I found myself rocketing towards the first pool. The splash made was simply huge and I couldn't really see where I was going. Then it was the banked curve. A beautiful sweep around and I roared across the line to a time of 30 seconds. The gaultlet had been well and truly thrown down.

Next, the Tribal Thunder (as Fraser had christened it) was off. Yet more dirt flew up and onto the bonnet of the Haywain, causing Duncan to turn the air blue with foul language. Fraser steamed straight up the hill at full throttle, shot over the top of the hill and was welcomed back to earth with a truly evil smash, causing Fraser to slow down a bit and come home in 30.9 seconds with a smashed front axle.

Finally, the Haywain was up. A patient start to prevent a further layer of mud on the body and a gentle ride up the hill to prevent a huge Fraser-style mechanical failure were rewarded by getting the body cleaned in the pools. He eased it round the banked curve and a steady run by Duncan gave a steady time of 31.4 seconds.

Later that night, after a few LAN games of Modern Warfare 2, we chalked up the scores. After the first round in the Wildcats, the scores stood at this;

1st: Alex Laird - 10pts
2nd: Fraser Young - 5pts (and a overnight repair job)
3rd: Duncan Bunting - 0pts

I recieved a text from Roy later that night to tell me that we weren't the only ones doing this. Jordan, Neil and Rob had been picked to do a bit of Ariel Atom 500 racing on the athletic track, and he,  Julie and a freshly added Murray Gilroy had be chosen to do a old-car challenge and then to do the challenges at his house. This was getting very big very quickly.

The End

0 comments about this story Feed