“So this is Christmas, and what have you done…”
2014 Community Work:
Social, economic, and political issues:
- Participated in the David Busby Centre’s 2014 ‘Visibly Unseen’ photo journal
- The aim is to help dispel common misconceptions, stereotypes, and the stigma surrounding the lives of Busby Centre participants.
- Wrote/published a 10 page article on the saturation of employment agencies in Barrie
- To raise attention to the negative impact that private employment agencies have on our community
- Started a petition for supporters to sign
- Gained interest and attention of Mayor Lehman, prominent business partners, community groups & organizations, and drawing over 700 online views
- Full Article at: http://www.protagonize.com/work/perpetuating-the-problem-of-poverty
- Petition: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/mayor-jeff-lehman-end-the-predatory-practices-of-temp-agencies
- Wrote/published an article on the Barrie Out-of-the-Cold (BOOTC) program
- An insight into the program which assists with homelessness in the winter
- Full Article at: http://www.protagonize.com/work/what-is-bootc/238285
- Initiated the Street Memorial for Lucy after her passing
- To pay respects to Lucy, and to every other person before her who has passed away homeless on the streets of Barrie, I wanted to make sure the community took note.
- I was not letting a good person, and friend I was trying to help, be quietly swept aside.
- Wrote/published an article on the homelessness & mental health issues.
- This public campaign raised awareness to the issues of homelessness, poverty, & mental health issues, and received wide news coverage
Related News Coverage and Articles:
- Simcoe.com: http://goo.gl/ACvXqn
- David Busby Centre: http://goo.gl/DDRnDe
- The Barrie Examiner:
‘A Visit to Lucy’s Place’ Jan 7/13; http://goo.gl/qPdleU, (back article)
‘Remembering Lucy’ Sept 9th: http://goo.gl/QRRPjN,
‘Letter to Editor’ Sept 9th; http://goo.gl/FYeEXP,
'Chalk Memorials' Sept 9th; goo.gl/ZhLby8,
‘Funeral for Lucy’ Sept 12th; http://goo.gl/IS7uCO,
‘Lucy’s Loss’ Oct 1st: http://goo.gl/cc1A00,
- Protagonize: http://goo.gl/KGZ4Wd,
- Pintrest: ‘Random Acts’; http://goo.gl/Da9m2x
- My video walkthrough of the Street Memorial on YouTube: http://goo.gl/kuG7Bk
- Created a community web page on facebook
- To further promote social awareness on issues of homelessness, poverty & mental health issues in the Barrie/Simcoe County area.
- Downtown & Around Town webpage: https://www.facebook.com/downtownandaroundtown
- Began groundwork to find solutions to the housing issues in downtown Barrie
- To assess the ‘real life’ situations around Boarding/Lodging/Rooming houses (BLR’s)
- To assist community groups and organizations in their efforts to find practical solutions.
- Contact: SCATEH, David Busby Centre