S.C.E - Skeleton - Pt4

In that respect, he told them, even their visit placed the valley in danger of discovery if they published its existence.   They had to admit that they had left a note at their camp along with a photograph of the first dinosaur they had met in the cave, telling the chief of Tibaru that they were exploring the cave.

Captain John was very worried at this, and asked them if it were possible for them to return to their camp and retrieve the note before anyone saw it.  They felt that it was advisable and that they would set off back through the cave, after they’d packed a minimum of supplies.  Their main worry was that they would be attacked by a dinosaur. Captain John said he would use his experience to keep them out of the track of dangerous dinosaurs.

The journey back to the camp was achieved in only a few hours, with Captain John’s guidance as far as the cave mouth.

The Camp was as they had left it, except that to their horror the note and photo had been taken.

As fast as they could travel, they went to the village and sought out the chief.

They asked him if he had seen the note and photo left in their camp and his response was not what they wanted to hear. He said he had sent the note and photo to Royal Geographic Society in London the previous day when the steamer called to the island.

Their return to Captain John’s tree-house was achieved without incident, now they knew the safer routes.  When they told him of the potential disaster, he was horrified. Desmond said there was only a matter of months before the Royal Geographic Society sends a scientific expedition to study this unique environment and then it would be difficult to prevent all control passing to them.

The next few days, Captain John was very nervous about the future wellbeing of the dinosaurs as he knew if all control was passed to the Royal Geographic Society it was possible this would end in the extinction of the last remaining dinosaurs.

Desmond and Gerard felt they were mainly responsible for this forthcoming disaster by allowing the information about the dinosaurs to leak out. 

The good news for them was that there was a Government Telegraph Office on the coastline of Great Sabaru and one of them could get there within a couple of days, and could send a telegraph to the Royal Geographic Society which would arrive in London before the note and photograph that was sent by the chief of the Tibaru by mail steamer.

This would hopefully stop the press printing a story on the discovery of the secret location of the last remaining dinosaurs.

Gerard said he would go while John and Desmond worked out what they could do to make sure when the scientific expedition sent by the RGS came they would see things their way. 

After packing a light bag which consisted mainly of a flashlight, a map, a compass, his trusty rifle and some spare dinosaur steaks and fresh berries. He set off back to the cave mouth.

Luckily for him he did not meet ‘the local bully’ or any other dinosaurs for that matter and he reached their campsite within two hours.

Back in the cavern Desmond and Captain John were dismantling some of this pit traps as they realised one or two were quite enough and if they had two many it wouldn’t be game hunter killing the dinosaurs in would be Captain John with his pit traps.

This proved difficult as our favourite local bully Mr Tyrannosaurus Rex was lurking about rumbling the floor and being quite a nuisance.


Meanwhile, Gerard set off down to the village of Tibaru and asked the Chief the quickest way to get back to the telegraph office of Great Sabaru. The Chief took Gerard to a house in which a man named Sungli lived. Sungli owned a number of small fishing boats and was happy to take Gerard to Great Sabaru, for money of course.

Gerard spent the night in a bed in the corner of Sungli’s house, and the next morning they set off on the long journey to the town where the telegraph office was situated.

Luckily for Gerard he got to the telegraph office without delay and found the operator sending another message, so that he was able to send the telegraph quickly. Gerard chose his words carefully to achieve the right effect but to also make sure the cost of sending it was as low as he could possibly make it.


To Chairman Expedition Committee Stop

In view of delicate situation as described in the information sent to you comma If sending representatives

Please ensure only scientists and keep secret from hunters and press Stop

Gerard Landers Little Sabaru expedition

End Of Message


When Sungli returned Gerard to the dock of Little Sabaru it was nightfall and Gerard spent another night in the bed in the corner of Sungli’s house. Anxious to report to Desmond and Captain John, Gerard set off at dawn to reach the camp by dusk, then he would sleep in his tent outside the cave before venturing back through the cave to the large valley.

 After a night in his warm sleeping bag in his tent he had a quick breakfast and set off through the cave, using the safer routes through smaller passages that Captain John had told him about.

However as Gerard neared the end of the smaller passage leading into the undergrowth about 100 metres from the tree-house he found further entry blocked off by a ton of rocks which had sealed the way forward and a familiar rumbling of the floor which could only explain that ‘the local bully’ had caused the most useful safe passage to become inaccessible for future use. 


The End

5 comments about this story Feed