After the MonsterCar stopped outside our house, I jumped out and went into the house while my mum parked it slowly in the driveway, concentrating on not decapitating the fence posts on either side and not denting and/or scratching the sleek paint job. 

I went straight upstairs to my room, shutting the door and dumping my school bag on the floor next to it. The computer was hibernating on the desk, and I switched it on to check my e-mails. To my surprise, there were 13 in my inbox. Most of it was junk mail, adverts from various companies who I had never even heard of, never mind wanting to buy their products. I sifted through them impatiently, finally enabling the anti-spam function to get rid of them all. There was only one unopened envelope icon left, with my Dad’s e-mail address beside it. He had answered within a few days, which was unusual in itself.

Dear Ruby

I’m sorry but problems have arisen with work and I won’t have time to write to you until they have been sorted out. The way things are heading I might not be coming home early like I said I was. I’m glad you’re settling in at school. Work hard and make sure your mother’s happy. Let me know how you are, even if I can’t write back. 

Love from Dad

It was brief. I tapped out a short reply. I included that my mother had had a new delivery of antique mirrors, but missed out the most important thing.

Hey Dad

School is fine so far. I met one of mum’s employees and she’s a bit weird. She just got some mirrors for the gallery shop and she thinks they’re antique. Sorry about your work. What are you doing, exactly?

Love Ruby

PS: Oh  yeah, remember those girls I told you about? You’ll never guess what - one can change shape at will and the other is a werewolf. 

I snorted to myself and deleted the post script. Yeah, right. Like he’d believe that. He would think that Slake had driven me mad a lot faster than expected. I didn’t have anything else to do so I unplugged the laptop, to make up for wasting the energy leaving it on hibernate for a whole day. 

I heard a loud burst of noise as the TV was switched on, then the sound dwindled as my mum hastily turned it down. I turned on the bedside lamp instead of the main one because it was less harsh on my eyes, and reluctantly changed into my pyjamas. It was barely eight o’clock, much too early for bed, but I found myself increasingly bored with nothing to do here. In London, I had been able to go out for a walk or to the cinema or anything as long as I was home by ten o’clock; not that I had had anybody to go with. It didn’t stop me.

I hesitated at the window before I shut the curtains, but it was too dark to see if Willow was out there. 

I didn’t much feel like reading, so I pulled the duvet over myself and tried to burrow down to get warm quickly. I curled up on my side, which was how I always drifted off, and waited for sleep to claim me, wondering if there'd be any more dreams tonight. I certainly had a lot of fuel for them.

The End

20 comments about this story Feed