Miss Goethe remembers
Ein Handschuh von schöner Hand,
The moment cradled like a brandy glass.
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
I didn't shed a tear:
A sort of black horsehair,
Langbeinigen Spinnen vergleichbar.
- Der Handschuh, Schiller, 1792
- The Brandy Glass, Louis MacNeice, 2003
- The Wasteland, T. S. Eliot, 1922
- The Black Sheep, Eloosive, 2010 ( http://www.protagonize.com/poem/winter-2010-poetry-tournament-round-1/59309
- By Candlelight, Sylvia Plath, 1962
- Der Totentanz, Goethe, 1792
[In 1792 Schiller and Goethe were engaged in a small poetry battle, and it occurred to me that picking lines from their warring poems would make a wonderful cento and an appropriate homage. Sadly the restrictions on this round don't allow that, but I've still tried to go from one poet to the other.]