The universe of Maegard is composed of five main areas, as demonstrated in this rogue (rather naff) diagram:
IRKALLA - The Nightmare Sea
CELESTE - "otherworld"
AETHRE OREŠ - "Upper Sky"
AETHRE - "sky"
CRUACHAN - The Cradle of the Gods
IRKALLA - The Nightmare Sea
- In Maegard's creation story, IRKALLA is the sea surrounding the world where, in conceiving the world, the Goddess cast aside the dark conceptions and evil dreams. Wishing them gone from Her world but unable to destroy them, She created an endless sea of darkness and cast them into it. It is here that legends say all creatures from children's nightmares go in the waking day, slithering around the roots of the world and returning at night. When the Goddess birthed the stillborn Amadahy, She cast her into Irkalla in despair, but the Water goddess was given life and sprang forth onto land, although it is believed that she swallowed a black sea-snake and allowed it to come forth from her during the Days of Darkness.
- CELESTE is the equivalent of the otherworld in Maegard, where all souls, good and bad, are thought to go when they die. It is never given any description as it is believed Celeste becomes the paradise of each individual. It is a personal and self-contained world for each person, and until the departed soul has decided whether to reincarnate or remain in Celeste, they have no contact with anybody, except perhaps the Goddess Herself.
- AETHRE OREŠ, meaning in Maedaal "the sky high above" is also known as the Upper Sky, and is where the planets reside. It is believed that the Goddess rescued two twins from Chaos, Sonn and Nyalne, and kept them close to her. Whilst one slept in Celeste at Her side, the Goddess held the other in her hand and draped them down from Celeste into the Upper Sky, bringing forth Day and Night. Planets also reside in the Upper Sky, their magick coming into effect when they break the barrier of Aethre during their orbit. The only planet that is constantly affecting the lower world is Hecate, which has eight moons representing the eight kinds of magick in Maegard. When one moon eclipses Hecate, the corresponding magick becomes the strongest.
- AETHRE is the sky in which all mortals can reach, and where some immortal species break through from the higher realms.
- MAEGARD is the land itself, a plate that contains oceans and kingdoms alike. Roots support it and dip into Irkalla, which monsters attempt to climb. All ocean water flows through waterfalls over the edge of the Veyréri into Irkalla, and some of the islands have in the past come loose and fallen over the edge too.
- CRUACHAN's location is unknown and is a place from legend as the Cradle of the Gods. It is where the ten Elemental gods could gather and where the Goddess could not hear their conversations. It is also where the gods were thought to have sacrificed themselves, no evidence of bodies discovered anywhere else. Its location is thought to have been lost after the death of the gods, though rumour is that the Incarnate have inner knowledge of its location. There are many beliefs about its entrance, possibilities ranging all across Maegard, none ever being proven.