Zazi is back. We were so worried for her, where was she?
I enter Zazi's room, she was alone.
"Why can't you leave me alone? Didn't Violet tell you that?" Zazi says, frustrated.
"I'm sorry." I reply, "I didn't see Violet. Zazi, do you want to make some Potato Latkes? It'll take your mind off things?"
"Oh, alright." Zazi surrenders, she follows me downstairs, running down the stairs lightly while I floated.
I had found a bag of potatoes, two onions, and a food processor on the counter. Beside it, there was a reciepe for Potatoe Latkes. Also a skillet on the stove. Aysh probably! Well, since we will die in around two weeks, might as well make the most of it and eat something other than raspberries, cherries or muffins.
"Ok! We need some eggs!" Zazi opens some cupboards and returns a few seconds later with a box of eggs.
1. Grate the potatoes and the onion. The weak can use a food processor.
We're not weak, but we have a food processor so might as well use it.
"Zazi?" I ask, putting the washed potatos and onion into the processor, "Where were you? Are you alright?"
Zazi turns on the food processor, and pours the contents into a big mixing bowl after.
"I'm fine, don't worry. I wasn't hurt or anything." Zazi says.
2. Mix the grated potatoes and onion, beaten egg, salt and pepper, and matzo meal or flour in a bowl.
"Who was it Zazi? You can tell me."
"Did Meita put you up to this?" Zazi accuses, she stops beating eggs and looks me in the eye with a fierce glare.
3. Heat a skillet over a medium flame.
"Of course not!" I cry. I am curious though. "I just want you to know that I'll be here if you need anyone to talk to. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to."
Then comes a long pause. The two of us just working silently.
"He said his name was Ian." Zazi says quietly.
4. Film the skillet with 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil.
"I was in a wood. It was all dark and quiet. Then there were thoughts in my head that didn't belong to me."
5. Form the potato mixture into small cakes - 2 to 3 tablespoons of potato per cake. Don't make the cakes too big; they're easier to turn when small.
"I talked to him and he said Meita was the reason we were here. I argued with him, and he could shut me up. My voice just went quiet. I didn't know what he was doing."
6. Flatten the cakes slightly with a spatula.
"Then he told me his plan."
7. Cook until the cakes are nice and brown on the bottom, then turn and cook the other side.
"He said to bring Meita to him. He said if I couldn't do that then he would kill all of us." Tears run down Zazi's cheeks. "He said to bring her to the woods. He'd tell me through my mind what to do."
8. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.