List exercises are great ways to break out of writer's block in any genre of writing.
A few list exercise examples:
- List your fondest childhood memories.
- List your most vivid dreams and nightmares.
- If you had three wishes, what would they be?
- List your most embarrassing moments.
- List five things you would take on a deserted island.
After making your lists, free write for 2-3 minutes about each item on the list. Don't stop for grammar or spelling. Just let your thoughts flow without looking back. These exercises force you to address emotionally charged subjects, while helping spark ideas for stories, poems, or memoir pieces.
This exercise is from a Memoir and Journaling Course I took on Universal Class.