Have you ever used Auto-Summarize on Microsoft Word? If so, you'll know how hilarious the results can be. I'll be posting some of mine soon enough, but first I'll tell you exactly how to find the tool, since I'd love it if you could share some contributions :)
Please note, guys, that I have Microsoft Word 2007. If you’ve got 2003, it’s even easier: you can find it under one of the headers (I think it’s Tools but don’t hold me to that). If you’ve got 2010, I am in awe of you: I didn’t even know it was out yet. I’m a little slow. However, I think most of it’s quite similar to 07 and so you can just try things out.
- Open Microsoft Word (this is usually a good start).
- At the top, above the ‘ribbon’ (where all the buttons are), there should be a little toolbar with a couple of icons on it. The defaults are “Save”, “Undo” and “Redo”, though you may have added others.
- Click the little arrow thingy-ma-jig at the end of that row.
- Click “More Commands”
- It should come up with a box. Make sure the drop-down menu on the left (“Choose Commands From”) is set to “All Commands)
- Select “Auto Summarize Tools” and click “Add”
- Press OK
You should now have a little button on the little bar at the top. Click it and select “Summarize”, and make sure it’s set to put the summary in a new document! Choose your percentage — I go for 0.5% or 1% but it’s up to you.
There you are: auto-summarize for Word 2007. Let me know if that doesn’t work for 2010 (though I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to help you!)
(After a note from Spook I now know that this also works for 2010 ... or at least, it's similar enough to not make too much difference)
Now go on, post your summaries here!